Tuesday, September 18, 2012

One big dose of Africa


Two months in Fontem and I am 1/3rd of the way through my experience! It is going by fast, I think might have to stay longer  J


Just a quick update on life here:
Im not the only American in Fontem! There are actually two other Americans here from the Peace Corps…  A girl from Chicago and a boy from Florida.

People still can’t understand my English and everyone tells me I am “eating my words”.
I am fat? One lady came into my ward looking for her daughter and described her as being almost as fat as I was, and then started laughing hysterically! And friends, if you are laughing at me…when I show people pictures of my family and friends at home, they say you are fat too! But don’t worry…this means we are healthy and we eat well!

I found a lizard in my room a few days ago and as it ran up the wall, I didn’t even bother trying to catch it- this is how I know I am getting used to the African wildlife. 
I discovered that all of the staff in the hospital call my ward “America” because it is the newest addition to the hospital and it has the most “advanced” rooms.

Our banana tree is almost ready to harvest!!!

 
A couple of weeks ago, the girls in my house and I were invited to dinner by a nurse that works in the hospital. He prepared some African dish with meat. I was so excited we were eating meat! In the US, we normally eat the outside portion of the animal…in Africa, you normally eat the inside of the animal. I realized this after I was served a plate full of meat I didn’t recognize. I just couldn’t bear to eat it and I shoved it onto Chiara’s plate when our friend wasn’t looking. I was left with a large ball of meat on my plate that I couldn’t get away with hiding, so I ate it. It was the size of a baseball and really chewy…God only knows what this was but really, I don’t want to know! And speaking of strange meat, people here eat all kinds of animals… rats, snakes, dogs, cats (so sad). There are some friendly cats that hang around our house, and one of them is really skiddish. I asked our neighbor why he is so afraid of people and she explained to me that he was traumatized. A couple of years ago, this cat ate some fish that belonged to a patient at the hospital so the patient caught him and tied him up by the legs. He knew the cat spent a lot of time around our neighbor’s house so this man wanted to ensure he was not stealing someone’s cat. Our neighbor received a phone call from this patient who asked, “can we eat your cat?!”. He was going to eat the cat because the cat ate his fish!

I am sure this is just a coincidence to the last story about eating meat at our friend’s house, but last week I was feeling really sick. I stayed home from work for two days and returned to work on Friday. When I went for mass in the morning, everyone was surprised to see me and asked me if I was feeling better. How did they all know I was sick? Then I went to the hospital and all of the staff (even people I didn’t know) told me they heard I was sick. Talk about small town news! It was nice to know that everyone cared… this is definitely something we could use more of in our country.

Work at the hospital is going really well! Patients usually stay in the hospital much longer here than they do in the US…I would say the average stay here is 10 days. Because the patients stay here so long, we really get to know the patients and their families…it is nice to build these relationships but also sad when the patient doesn’t make it. In the US, we see a lot of heart disease and trauma. We see some of the same things here, except we also see some interesting things like tetanus, meningitis, malaria, kaposi’s sarcoma, snake bites, AIDS, and typhoid fever. Also something really different about hospitals here is that they have no blood bank. If a patient needs a blood transfusion, they have to find the donor themselves. If they can’t find a donor, a nurse might offer to donate but if they can’t find anyone… it’s not good news for that patient.

Something my nursing friends will appreciate: One of the problems with the medication system in the hospital is that all of the medications for the day are stored in one large box with the patient’s bed number and the person administering the medications has no idea which medications they are giving at certain times…the medications are in a box with pills inside supplied by a nurse working a different shift. I suggested a new system of supplying medications each shift, and writing the medications on a sheet of paper with the patient’s bed number so that the nurse knows what he/she is giving. After a couple of weeks, the head nurse implemented my idea! I am happy because this will be much safer for the patients. Chiara and I are working on trying to create some documentation for wounds so hopefully we can create something useful for the hospital staff that they will find helpful even after we leave.

A few weeks ago when it was my turn to cook, we didn’t have much food in the house. To be economical, I decided to cut some greens (aka: leaves) in our neighbor’s garden to prepare for dinner. There are many different kinds of greens here…one type is called “green”, another is called “bacon” (I really got my hopes up the first time I heard we were eating bacon for dinner), and there are many more. Our neighbor told us that we were free to cut as many “greens” as we would like, so I went chopping away. It was dark outside so I couldn’t see very well…our neighbor came outside and saw me cutting and yelled at me because I accidentally cut down her mint bush. She saw me with a handful of mint and was not happy (I had a whole bucket full of mint she didn’t see because it was dark)…she directed me to the green bush and again I started chopping away. When I got home I realized that I still did not cut down “green”…I cut “bacon”! This type of leaf takes a long time to prepare so we were not even able to eat it! In the end, we had an angry neighbor, a month supply of mint, and a shabby dinner…that’s what I get for trying to be economical!

On Sunday, I went with five other people to another village for mass. We drove one hour in the car (going 5mph the whole time, rocking back and forth so much that we were smashing each other because the roads are so bad) then we parked the car and walked uphill for about 40 minutes. It was SOOO BEAUTIFUL! The sun was shining, and as we were climbing this hill, I turned around and could see mountains, a giant waterfall, palm trees, a river….it was amazing! The church we went to was really cool! It was smaller than the living room at my dad’s house and it was made out of mud/cement? I would say there were 50 people inside this tiny church! The only decorations inside were a picture of Mary, a cross, and a coffee table for the altar. The stations of the cross were literally written on the wall: “Station 1” “Station 2”, and so forth. There were many people outside that couldn’t fit inside because it was so crammed. The whole place was loud with singing and dancing, it was awesome! It just goes to show that you don’t need fancy decorations to have a beautiful mass! Just about everyone personally greeted us and made us feel welcome. I understood almost all of the homily which was in Pidgin…this was a big deal for me because I have not understood a single Sunday homily since arriving here. I still can’t speak Pidgin though because I feel awkward speaking broken English. After mass, we went to the palace of the Chief and ate lunch. Oh and we drank palm wine! Yes, wine from a palm tree! It was delicious!

I have been asked many questions about America when people hear I am from the US. Some people ask me if I see celebrities on the streets. We currently have three young girls in our ward in isolation for chicken pox. I have been spending time with them when I am not busy because they are very bored inside isolation. It is almost scary how far off their interpretation of American life is! They asked me about my maid and when I said I cook and clean just like any other person, they laughed at me! They didn’t believe I actually did cooking and cleaning at home…not to say that I do a lot of cooking and cleaning at home…but in theory, I can. They even felt my hands to see if they were soft or hard from washing clothes…so I was busted when they asked this question because we use washing machines.

One thing I have learned from this experience is how much you can give a person without money. I didn’t come from the US with money to give…not to mention my salary at the hospital in one month here is less than I would be making in five hours in the US. But I can still give many things (inside and outside of work): my smile, my laughter, my time, my knowledge, my greetings, my positive attitude, my love, my encouragement, my unity…myself. I am only beginning to understand how powerful these gifts can be when you really have nothing else to offer. Its something that I have heard of before, but only now am I able to experience how meaningful they can be when you receive them.

School has started here in Fontem. All the kids here wear blue uniforms to school and pink uniforms to nursery school. The roads are flooded with kids walking to school in the morning…many of them call me “white man”, but I have to correct them and say “white woman!”. Even the nursery school kids walk by themselves! Imagine- we cannot even leave our kids at the bus stop in the US without worrying about strangers and Cameroon toddlers are carrying their diapers to daycare, walking by themselves!

 

That’s all for now…I hope American life is treating everyone well!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment